Jan 15, 2010

Thoughts.


Yes, I've been thinking again.

I'm reading a book that Eric's friend Jeff recommended called "The Glass Castle".

It's a non-fiction book about a woman that grew up in an extremely poor family. It's SO interesting to see her perspective on the things that happen in her life. To her, a father getting drunk is almost a natural part of life. Living in broken down houses with mice and cockroaches is an adventure. Her parents encourage her to think this way. Her mother is especially always giving her perspective on different things.

While I don't agree with the way her parents influence her thoughts (seriously, it seems like brain-washing to me..), I find it interesting how well it works. This young girl keeps the most positive attitude in the absolute WORST situations I could imagine. It's made me realize some things about myself.

I've realized that social norms really, really bother me.

I have realized that as long as I'm happy with the things I'm doing, I shouldn't care what other people think. Despite that realization, I know that I DO care. That frustrates me.

I've realized how hard it is to be a GOOD parent. I already knew they made sacrifices, but reading about how difficult it was for these two parents to provide simple things for their children made it even more apparent to me. Because of that, I've decided that I'm not ready to be a mother.

It's a really great book. It plays with your emotions and changes your perspective. (I should warn you that there is quite a bit of language coming from her father.) Anyway. There are my thoughts.

2 comments:

kelli said...

I've heard good things about that book. Never read it myself... Maybe I will.

Word verification: datin. ha ha.

Stacey-Marie said...

i need to read this