Aug 29, 2010

Unending Lamenting

Dear, oh dear. What a strange weekend.
Yesterday I was on my way to work when my loverly sister Chelsey called me. This is sort of what our conversation went like:
Chelsey: " I have three speakers for our ward tomorrow. Would you be willing to be the fourth?"
Celeste: "Uhh.. did you call the right person?"
Chelsey: "Celeste. My sister. My youngest sister. Are you willing to speak in church tomorrow?"
Celeste: "Uhh.. okay!"
Chelsey: "Thanks! If you could speak on the importance of attending our church meetings, that would be great!"

Me, oh my.. what a topic. There's really not much to say! Go to church. It's a commandment. Done.

Buuuut of course, being my silly ol' self, I looked up one quote, called it good for the day and went to Karate Kid (which is a fantastic movie, despite the issues I have with it's name.) Then this morning I woke up around 9:30.. (Sundays are my days to sleep in.).. and realized I had absolutely nothing prepared. Sooo I rushed around in the scriptures, searched lds.org like crazy, and threw together a talk. It went pretty well, if I might say so. :)

Then I went to my friend's homecoming opportunity to speak upon returning home from a mission. Yes, I realize the hypocrisy of me telling people it's important to go to their church meetings only to leave 5 minutes later. It was fun to see some of my friends that I hadn't seen in a while, but for some reason I found myself in a terrible mood. I tried to pinpoint the reason for my pouting.. and after a while I decided that it brought me right back to high school.. which was not something I particularly enjoyed. I mean, I didn't dread going to school everyday. In fact, I quite enjoyed band and lunch.. and even most of my other classes. I just didn't enjoy the social atmosphere. I felt smothered in artificial happiness. I felt like the only time I enjoyed myself was when I was making a complete fool of myself, which I would eventually regret.

Anyhow, I kind of decided I wouldn't go to many more homecomings opportunities to speak. Which is kind of a downer, because I really do enjoy seeing my friends. I just really, really dislike that high school... stuffiness.

Those high school reunions are sure gonna be fun, right? heh.. heh..


Goooo high school!

3 comments:

Kyle Andrew said...

you're a good egg.

Jon said...

Haha! I skipped my 5-year reunion for that very reason.

kelli said...

Heey! I know that picture very well.

But I think I might be a little offended considering the post it's accompanying... hahaha. JK.
Can I just say--I feel the EXACT same way!!! I hate seeing old high school people. Like, not everyone. Some people I actually enjoy. One on one. But the vast majority? Not so much.

I'm right there with ya.